Contract Termination

The housing contract you signed is for the academic year. Please read through your License Agreement for factors and penalties and contact Housing & Residential Life for more information.

As detailed in section 10 of the Undergraduate Housing License Agreement, you will be released from the academic year rent commitment only under the following circumstances (does NOT apply if you are evicted/removed from campus housing for conduct-related reasons):

  • You move out of campus housing and withdraw from and discontinue enrollment as a student at the University of Arizona (and do not re-enroll at any time during the remainder of that academic year). Rent charges for which you would still be responsible are described in section 10 of the License Agreement.
  • You move out of campus housing at the end of the fall semester to participate in a University-approved internship, study abroad or student exchange program that will 1) require you to reside outside the Tucson metropolitan area during the spring semester, or 2) result in you not being enrolled in spring semester classes at the University. Under these circumstances, you will need to provide the Housing Assignment Services office with a copy of official documentation showing your participation in such a program before the end of the fall semester to avoid additional rent charges.
  • You graduate from the University of Arizona and move out of campus housing at the end of the fall semester.

Contract Termination for Extraordinary Reasons

In rare cases after moving into campus housing, a student encounters an extreme, unforeseeable and uncontrollable problem that interferes with her/his ability to continue living in campus housing and for which Housing & Residential Life is not able to provide a reasonable solution/alternative within campus housing facilities. The nature of these problems is typically medical, psychological and/or financial.

All appeals to terminate a housing contract for reasons other than those described in the License Agreement must be submitted in writing for review by the Housing Contract Appeals Committee. This committee is made up primarily of faculty and staff from outside Housing & Residential Life. Contract appeals will be considered ONLY after you have sought assistance from your Community Director to resolve the problem, and all other, less extreme options have been exhausted – including transferring to a different room, room type, residence hall or apartment.

If you wish to submit an appeal, you must complete the License Agreement Appeal Form and submit that form along with supporting documentation to Housing Assignment Services. The supporting documentation required depends on the reason(s) for your appeal.

Documentation requirement for appeals based on:

A completed appeal should be submitted well prior to the date on which you would like to move out of campus housing. Completed appeals received less than three weeks prior to the date you wish to move out may not be reviewed by that date. If you have already moved out of campus housing, your appeal will be accepted and reviewed only if it is received within 60 days of the day you moved out.