Connect to a welcoming living environment that explores and embraces Latinx students' cultural identities, both on campus and within the greater Tucson community. The Casa Ollin Theme Community is an opportunity for first-year students to live with other first-year, oftentimes first-generation students who want to incorporate Latinx cultural knowledge and experiences with academic support and mentorship.
Casa Ollin is in partnership with the Adalberto & Ana Guerrero Student Center whose mission is to support students to achieve academic and personal excellence by shaping a safe and inclusive campus environment through culturally affirming programs and events that cultivate a sense of belonging, build community, encourage critical reflection, and develop students’ as learners, leaders, and professionals. Students from all cultures who are interested in exploring the Latinx and Chicanx cultures in a cross-cultural setting are encouraged to apply for this theme community.
“Ollin” stems from the Nahuatl language. Ollin is derived from “yollotl,” meaning heart, and “yolistli,” meaning life. Ollin also means to move and act now with all your heart. It means to follow your path in life wholeheartedly. To experience Ollin we have to get “All-in”. Ollin is also commonly used by Chicanx groups because of its relation to Nahui Ollin, the fifth and current sun or world.
Benefits of the Casa Ollin Theme Community
- Receive mentoring, advising, and support for your transition into college from Latinx students who have lived the experience
- Explore Tucson, Southern Arizona, and beyond as you engage in Latinx/Chicanx arts, history, and culture
- Develop relationships with mentors, upper class students, and faculty
- Connect with Guerrero Center staff for specialized support, including tutoring and social activities
- Engage in resume-building/ professional development programming, as well as networking opportunities to enhance career and academic skills
- Gain a deeper understanding of the diverse issues and events affecting the Latinx/Chicanx society
- Located in Coconino
How to Apply
- Submit a housing application in MyUAHome.
- Pay the non-refundable housing application fee
- The theme community application process, inside your housing application, opens in January. Space is limited.
NOTE: You must have a housing application on file to be considered for this community. For more information about the Housing application, email email@example.com.
Students accepted into the Casa Ollin Theme Community will be required to register for a common course.
Participating in Casa Ollin Theme Community
Casa Ollin is an engaging living environment. In the community, students have access to unique resources and programs designed to support their transition to college. It’s expected that students living in the community take advantage of the array of academically enriching activities offered to members of the community – space is limited, so sign up quickly!
For more program information, contact: