Policies & Procedures Student FAQs

I just was documented for an incident. What happens next?

You will receive an email from Housing & Residential Life or the Dean of Students Office to your UA email account. This email will inform you of a scheduled conduct hearing (date, time, location), list possible violations, and share a copy of the incident report that was written.

Please review the incident report for accuracy and attend your scheduled hearing to discuss the incident. 

How am I notified of my hearing?

You are notified of the date, time and location of your hearing via email to your UA email account (@email.arizona.edu). Please add the domain email.arizona.edu to your address book so that University mail does not go into your spam trap. This is the official method for University communications and the primary method by which Housing & Residential Life delivers conduct-related information.

As a student at the University of Arizona, it is your responsibility to review these messages in a timely manner and respond as instructed.

What’s the purpose of my hearing?

The purpose of the hearing is to allow you to share your account of the incident that occurred and determine your responsibility in the case.

What does “preponderance of evidence” mean?

Preponderance of evidence is the burden of proof a hearing officer uses to make a decision of responsibility. It means that if a hearing officer believes it is “more likely than not” that a student violated the Policies & Procedures for Hall Living or the Code of Student Conduct, he or she will find the student responsible for the violation and possibly issue sanctions. Other burdens of proof that may be familiar include:

  • Clear and convincing evidence 
  • Beyond a reasonable doubt
Can I bring someone to my hearing with me?

Students have the right to bring an advisor (friend, parent, student, etc.) to a hearing. However, advisors may not participate in the hearing in any way, other than to privately advise the student and provide personal support.

Witnesses may also be presented to the hearing officer. Please be sure to inform your hearing officer in advance, if you will be bringing a witness. 

What happens if I do not attend my hearing?

If you do not attend your hearing, please contact the hearing officer listed in your notification as soon as you are aware that you missed your hearing.

If you do not attend your hearing and do not contact the hearing officer in a timely manner, the officer will make a decision regarding your case in your absence. That decision will be based upon the incident report and any other evidence that has been provided. 

How do I reschedule my hearing?

To request to reschedule your hearing, please call (520) 626-6015.

What is a sanction? What sanction will I receive?

The Housing & Residential Life Conduct System is educational in nature. Its primary purpose is to help students learn from choices they make and to become a positive contributor to the residence hall community. Consequences, or sanctions, are assigned when a student is found responsible for violating the Policies & Procedures for Hall Living, contractual obligation, or law. Sanctions are intended to help students learn and each subsequent violation/sanction builds upon the last. Examples of possible sanctions can be found in the Sanctions and Definitions page.

How do I schedule SHADE?

Health Promotions within the Campus Health Center provides a six hour educational risk-reduction class for students who are in violation of alcohol and other drug policies at the University of Arizona. There are two classes; one for alcohol and one for marijuana. There is a $50 fee for both programs. You must register in advance online or by calling (520) 621-5700. 

Where can I complete my community service?

Community service hours can be completed at any recognized non-profit organization. It is your responsibility to make contact with an agency, schedule hours and complete the assigned amount of community service hours by the given deadline. All hours should be documented on agency letterhead, which you will then submit to your original hearing officer as verification of completion. Community service hours will be verified with the agency.

What transportation is available for me to complete my community service off-campus?

The University works with Sun Tran (Tucson’s regional public transportation system) to provide the U-Tran pass to students (paying up to 50% of your bus pass to eligible students, faculty and staff). For more information, please visit the Sun Tran website.  

What happens if I do not complete my sanctions?

A hold will be placed on your student account. If after one week of the hold being placed, the sanctions are still incomplete, a non-refundable overdue sanction fee of up to $75 will be assessed to your bursar account. Regardless of whether or not the overdue fee is assessed it is expected that you complete your sanctions in a timely manner.

Where can I find off-campus housing if I am evicted?

The University of Arizona’s Off-Campus Housing Office is located on the second floor of El Portal. El Portal is located across the courtyard from the Highland Market on the corner of 6th Street and Highland Avenue. This office can offer assistance in locating available housing in the surrounding Tucson community. The phone number is (520) 621-5859. 

How do I appeal the decision regarding my hearing/incident?

You may appeal a conduct decision for which a sanction has been imposed to the Assistant Director for Student Behavioral Education. Do this by clicking on the link in your decision letter and answering the required questions. Your appeal must be submitted within two business days of your decision letter being sent. If you do not attend your hearing you will be ineligible for appeal.

What if I disagree with the appeal decision?

Cases will only be reopened if new information is identified and confirmed, and that information could have a material impact on the original decision. 

What is the difference between a legal process and a University administrative process?

A student would be involved in a legal process or proceedings for a violation of the law in which a citation is issued or arrest made. The legal process exists separately from a University administrative process. When individuals become students at the University of Arizona, they agree to follow the Code of Student Conduct, and students in the residence halls also agree to follow the Policies & Procedures for On Campus Living set forth by Housing & Residential Life.

When a student violates the Student Code of Conduct or the Policies & Procedures, they are subject to a University administrative process in which responsibility for a violation of these rules is determined. A legal process and University administrative process can be concurrent if a student has violated the law, as well as the Student Code of Conduct or Policies & Procedures for Hall Living.

Where can I get free legal advice?

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona (ASUA) provides free legal services to all students at the UA. You will be able to speak with an attorney, who can advise you on most legal problems or questions you may have. To schedule an appointment, call (520) 621-2782. You can also find a great deal of legal information on the ASUA website

Where can I obtain a Confidentiality Waiver so my parents can talk to the hearing officer?

Please submit the signed Confidentiality Waiver to the original hearing officer, who can share additional information regarding this incident with your permission.

Download a copy.

How do I report an incident?

You can report an incident directly to a Housing & Residential Life staff member (Community Director, Resident Assistant, desk staff) or you can report an incident online through the Dean of Students Office. Most Housing & Residential Life-related incidents will be referred back to Housing & Residential Life staff for review and action. All reported incidents that occur outside of the residence hall will be reviewed by the Dean of Students Office staff. You may also file a police report with UAPD. The non-emergency contact number is (520) 621-UAPD (8273). For emergencies, please call 911. 

Can I report an incident anonymously?

No, unfortunately you cannot report an incident anonymously. The source of all incident reports will need to be verified. There is also the possibility that staff investigating the report will need additional information from the reporting party.

If my roommate is doing something in the room he or she shouldn’t do, can I get in trouble?

If you are present and/or realize a violation is occurring, you must leave the room and/or area immediately and report the violations to hall staff. 

Does being included in an incident report mean I can’t be a Resident Assistant (RA)?

Not necessarily. You may be included in an incident report as a witness, or you could be found “not responsible” for a violation, based upon the evidence and investigation by the hearing officer. You are still eligible to apply for an RA position.

If you are found responsible for a violation and placed on Deferred License Agreement Cancellation, you are not eligible to apply to be an RA until you are no longer on Deferred License Agreement Cancellation. Deferred License Agreement Cancellation status lasts from the date it was assigned by the hearing officer through the end of the academic year.

If you are found responsible for a violation and evicted from the residence hall, you are not eligible to be an RA at the University of Arizona. 

I was cited by UAPD. What does that mean?

A citation from UAPD results in two processes:

  • Court Process: There is a date and time on the bottom of your citation. You must appear in court to discuss this case in front of a judge. Should you decide not to appear for this hearing, a warrant will be issued for your arrest. 
  • Dean of Students Office Process: You will receive an email from the Dean of Students Office to your UA email account. Please review the notification carefully and respond as necessary.
What do I do if I feel like I was treated unfairly by the police?

You may file a police report with UAPD. The non-emergency contact number is (520) 621-UAPD (8273). 

How does this incident/conduct relate to my academic record?

A student’s conduct record is independent from their academic record, unless a finding of responsibility results in suspension or expulsion from the University.

Students are also held to a high standard regarding academic integrity. A violation of this code could result in disciplinary action. More information regarding the Code of Academic Integrity can be found on the Dean of Students Office website

Why am I being charged a monetary sanction? Where does the money go?

A monetary sanction is assessed as part of the conduct process only where a student is found responsible for violating Housing & Residential Life's Policies and Procedures for Hall Living. The monetary sanction is utilized to offer on-going training to staff, additional community programming to residents and assist with maintenance of Housing & Residential Life's conduct database.