Graduate Resident Assistant Recruitment Information
Thank you for your interest in the Graduate Resident Assistant (GRA) position with La Aldea Graduate Housing at the University of Arizona. Please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about our graduate housing, campus, graduate programs, or GRA process.
At this time, we are anticipating several openings and are excited to consider your application for our Graduate Resident Assistant position.
The application review process will begin when your application is complete. A complete application will include the completion of the Microsoft Form Questionnaire; an electronic copy of your resume with your email address; cover letter indicating what graduate program you are applying to (please indicate if you have been accepted); and a list of three professional references with contact information.
Application materials should be sent to us via email at email@example.com. Please include GRA Application in the subject line.
Please note that all offers are contingent upon the candidate's admission to a graduate program at the University of Arizona or maintained graduate student status and GPA of 2.5 for those currently enrolled in a program.
Click here for information on admission to the Graduate College.
Should you have any questions about the Graduate Resident Assistant position please do not hesitate to contact us.
The GRA is a live-in graduate student leadership position reporting to the Program Manager of the Graduate Experience. The term of the GRA agreement is June 1, 2021 – May 31, 2022. The Graduate Resident Assistant is member of the La Aldea Graduate community and Residential Education Team. The position is essential in creating a caring and inclusive community, enforcing residential policies and procedures, and serving as an on-call staff member for the La Aldea Community.
Graduate Resident Assistants receive a two-bedroom apartment, and $1200/semester in meal plan funds. (No tuition remission is included as compensation for this position).
What do GRAs do?*
- Provide quality active and passive programming opportunities for our residents to help build community within La Aldea.
- Build relationships with residents and assist students in their transition to the University of Arizona and Tucson.
- Serve as academic role models (You must have at least a 2.5 minimum GPA and be enrolled in 6 credits a semester while employed).
- Assess and address the needs of the community and encourage residents to take ownership of La Aldea.
- Monitor the safety and security of the community by taking part in an on-call rotation, and documenting violations of policy.
- Be present in the building ALL 12 months of the year (12-month, live-in position).
- Assist in the Check in and Check out process for all residents.
- Complete Health and Safety Inspections of Apartments.
This is just an example; additional duties may be assigned as necessary.
GRAs Approximate* Time Commitments:
General expectations are that this position is 15-20 hours per week:
- Programming – La Aldea Historically has had weekly and monthly programs. These models are subject to change but there are regular program expectations of the GRA staff.
- Duty – One of the 7 GRAs is on call from 5pm to 8 am (12pm on weekends) EVERY day of the year, including Winter Break, Spring Break and Summer. The first three hours of duty are spent in the La Aldea Office.
- Staff Time – Weekly staff meeting; individual bi-weekly meeting with supervisor
- Other Time Commitments – Summer (June) and Winter Training (before classes start in January) for all staff; plus, other staff meetings as needed.
- Because the GRA position is a live-in position, GRAs need to be seen as a resource for residents at all times and are expected to be present in the community overnight unless they have received permission to be away from the community.
*Actual time commitment varies by time of year and needs of the community.
- Open: February 1, 2021
- Close: March 1, 2021
- A complete application includes Resume (including reference to anticipated or current graduate program), Cover Letter, and contact information for three professional references.
- Interviews: will start on March 15, 2021
- Letters sent to all Candidates: On or Before Friday, April 16, 2021
- (stating one of three things: offer with placement, offer of alternate pool, or no offer)
- Candidates must accept/decline offer by Friday, April 23, 2021
- Contract start date: June 1, 2021
- Training Start Date: June 1, 2021
- Contract end date: May 31, 2022
Find the 2021-2022 Graduate Community Director job application at this link, or you may copy/paste the below link in full: